11.10.2014

Working from Home After Having a Baby

So because of these two...


...my work space went from this...


...to this.



Here is how I have adjusted to a whole new situation.

I've been working from home for a few weeks now. There are some advantages and disadvantages to working from home. People love to comment on how great it is because I can roll out of bed and stay in my pajamas all day if I like. While that sounds great (and sometimes does happen), it could not be more counterproductive. In order to effectively work from home, especially with little ones about, you need to have a steady schedule and routine.

One that starts with putting on real clothes and maybe taking a shower. If not for anyone else, for yourself. There is something about getting up and ready for the day that puts you in the right mental state. A necessary place to be if you want to accomplish anything.

So how has work been with a newborn? Slow. I had to make a promise to myself not to expect too much out of the day. To start I was just happy if a load of laundry got done, or my daughter's room was picked up. Now I'm at the point I can get that AND a solid hour of illustrating in each day...and am thrilled!

Currently I am working up a dummy to send to an interested publisher. In college the only thing I needed to worry about each day was what I was going to eat, and what I was going to illustrate for an assignment. Now there are so many things to do in the day, I have to pick and choose. So what do I do with my one hour while both kids are taking a nap? Get a panel on the storyboard sketched out. Or pin some reference to my Pinterest board. Or post to my Facebook page. Something, anything, to keep the slow train moving forward. And I rejoice in my minor accomplishments, because even though I'm not moving as fast as I'd like, I am still moving.

Eventually my goal is to get back into the studio on a regular basis. But for now, I am enjoying the new schedule and relief it brings. Not putting pressure on myself has been a nice reprieve, and allowed me to enjoy the little loves in my life.

I mean who wouldn't want to spend all day playing with these two?




1 comment:

Gicky said...

I so enjoy reading your blog and could not agree with you more on this one. There needs to be balance between work and family and you certainly have your priorities in the right place. Glad though you can spend some time everyday on your art so we can all enjoy seeing your incredible talent!